Thursday, September 20, 2012

Via



The straight and narrow can also be bumpy and slippery.

I have fond memories of sliding across this cobblestone road as we tried to make our way up to the winged lion guarding the city gates. It was late afternoon and the sun hit our eyes at a 45 degree angle, causing me to squint as I tried to keep my balance; laughing, sliding, chattering. The one thing I relish about growing old is that I now have more memories and consequently more to look back on. And as a result of this cumulative experience, many things seem to take on new meaning. Words that I read years ago now do not read the same, revealing formerly hidden messages, metamorphasizing into completely different creatures from the ones I had previously ensnared with my imagination; different yet equally beautiful. This somehow makes life feel just that much richer, this richness paid for with youth. 

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.   

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Jeremy...

11:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home